Win a $500 USD
Sharpen your public speaking skills and participate in the High School Student Course Video Contest!
The High School Student Course Video Contest will be opening soon!
What is a Leadership Grant?
Consider ways that you can you make a difference.
The purpose of a leadership grant is to inspire and enable students to be life-ready leaders by using the grant to make a difference within their circle of influence. A leadership grant will be awarded by FranklinCovey to students who are selected as winners in this year’s student speech contest. As participants work to develop a speech, they should consider what they would do with the leadership grant if awarded the prize and submit their plans for its use during the entry-form process. The decision is up to the student, but here are a few suggestions to make a difference as a leader:
• Identify and fix a problem that exists at school.
• Donate the money to a charitable contribution.
• Organize a service project in the community.
• Purchase personal school supplies.
• Help a class member or family in need.
• Contribute to a college fund.
What Type of Speech Will You Give?
Think of creative ways to make the speech memorable, engaging, and unique. Don’t forget to have your speech memorized!
The Judging Process
Winners will be announced on May 30, 2019.
Eighty (80) prize winners (one for each lesson) will be selected by a panel at FranklinCovey Education and the International Student LEAD Team using a judging rubric with three criteria: 1) message 2) tone and 3) quality of video.
Students will receive a $500 Leadership Grant for EACH winning video they submit.
REMINDER: You can enter more than one video as long as each video is for a different High School Course Lesson. The more entries you submit, the better your chance of winning a Leadership Grant.
NOTE: All winning videos will be featured in the new High School Digital Course lessons.
Rules and Guidelines
The following rules and guidelines will help parents or guardians support participating students in producing a great video.
Who is eligible to participate?
Any student worldwide (ages 13 to 19) that attends a licensed Leader in Me School is eligible to participate.
How many videos can I enter?
Students can enter more than one video into the contest as long as each video is on a different lesson topic.
Step 1: Choose a Lesson Topic
Choose a lesson topic from the following lists of High School Student Course Lessons that will not only inspire your audience but showcase your passion as well.
Download Speech Topics
Step 2: Prepare a Great Message
- Focus on the unique topic of your lesson topic and its purpose – to persuade, to entertain, or to inform.
- The content can be delivered by one or more students, as long as each individual and their parent or guardian (where applicable) has signed a release form).
- Avoid sensitive topics that could be perceived as disrespectful, threatening, exclusive or offensive toward any person, group, or organization (e.g. political topics, religious themes, etc.).
- Seek permission and/or credit the source of any third-party content referenced during the speech.
Step 3: Deliver a Great Message
- Think of creative ways to make the content memorable, engaging, and unique.
- Consider visuals, such as slides, posters, a unique background, or objects, that might strengthen your message.
Step 3: Produce a Quality Video
- The video should two (2) to five (5) minutes in length.
- Submissions must be in standard video formats, such as: MOV (.mov), MPEG-4 (.mp4), FLV (.flv), or WMV (.wmv).
- The video must not include third-party intellectual property or copyright-protected content, like logos on shirts or branded products visible in background.
Step 4: Submit Your Entry
- Complete the official entry form.
- Print and upload a signed release form from a parent or guardian for each student appearing in the video.
- Teachers – If you are submitting entries on behalf of your students, the entry must be in the student’s name, not yours.
- Enter via a Youtube URL from your own personal channel.
- Or – upload your submission in an acceptable video format
What is Leader in Me?
Leader in Me (LiM) is an evidence-based, comprehensive school improvement model—developed in partnership with educators—that empowers students with the leadership and life-skills they need to thrive in the 21st century.
©2019 Franklin Covey Co. All Rights Reserved.