We had nearly 1,000 entry videos from 21 countries submitted in 2021. Your service-learning projects inspired, uplifted and empowered people everywhere!
How do you use your voice to positively impact yourself and your community?
* Tell us about a time that you used your voice and leadership skills to make a positive impact.
* How were you affected by this experience? How were those around you or your community affected?
* How will you continue to use your voice to make a positive difference in your community?
Entries will be accepted from November 1, 2021 through March 14, 2022
Winners will be announced at Global Leadership Day on March 30, 2022.
The winning videos will be posted on the Leader in Me YouTube channel on or before April 8, 2022.
The purpose of a leadership grant is to inspire and enable students to be life-ready leaders by using the grant to make a difference within their circle of influence. A leadership grant will be awarded by FranklinCovey to students who are selected as winners in this year’s student speech contest. As participants work to develop a speech, they should consider what they would do with the leadership grant if awarded the prize and submit their plans for its use during the entry-form process. The decision is up to the student, but here are a few suggestions to make a difference as a leader:
• Identify and fix a problem that exists at school.
• Donate the money to a charitable contribution.
• Organize a service project in the community.
• Purchase personal school supplies.
• Help a class member or family in need.
• Contribute to a college fund.
A traditional speech is delivered in a format we’re familiar with. When we think of traditional public speaking events, we imagine a podium a stage, or another venue a simple, professional background.
Here are a few tips for delivering a great traditional speech:
✓ Present to an audience (optional).
Creative speeches are an opportunity to explore different ways of delivering powerful speeches on video while still addressing the audience with a clear and concise message.
Here are a few tips for presenting your creative speech:
✓ Collect signed permission forms from anyone on video.
✓ Avoid copyrighted music, logos, or other licensed content.
✓ Ensure lighting and audio quality.
✓ Use natural hand gestures.
✓ Be confident.
✓ Use voice inflection.
✓ Deliver memorized.
✓ Speak slowly and clearly.
✓ Avoid verbal pauses.
✓ Be creative, but deliver a strong message.
✓ Ensure lighting and audio quality.
✓ Use simple video editing effects.
Following the March 14, 2022 deadline, twenty (25) regional winners will be chosen by a panel of judges. The regional winners will receive a special certificate and will be featured on the Leader in Me blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube Channel.
From the group of regional winners, five (5) grand prize winners will be selected by a panel of judges using these criteria:
Please note that to be eligible for the popular vote contest, speeches must be centered on the prompt. The judges have sole discretion to disqualify any popular vote contest entry that does not fulfill the requirements of the speech contest and/or the prompt.
✓ Монгол хэл
✓ bahasa Indonesia
✓ Español Europeo
Any student worldwide (ages 5 to 19) that attends a licensed Leader in Me School is eligible to participate. Parents and guardians are encouraged to assist, but the student must do the majority of the work!
• How do you use your voice to positively impact yourself and your community?
• Seek permission and/or credit the source of any third-party content referenced during the speech.
• This entry video is led and reported on by an individual Leader in Me student, but the student can have help and support from their family or school
• There are three (3) individual entry categories: ages 5-10, ages 11-15, and ages 16-19.
• School-wide led – this entry video can be led and reported on by a classroom, a small team of students, or even an entire school
• Family led – this entry video is led by members of a family unit and must show how all participating members of the family were involved.
• Think of creative ways to make the speech/project memorable, engaging, and unique.
• Maintain consistent eye contact, use appropriate gestures, and speak clearly with expression.
• Consider visuals, such as slides, posters, a unique background, or objects, that might strengthen your message.
• Memorize your speech
MAKE A VIDEO
• The video should be no longer than five (5) minutes in length.
• Make sure you film in a quiet location (no major background noise, like traffic, lawnmowers, or other people.)
• Submissions must be in standard video formats, such as: MOV (.mov), MPEG-4 (.mp4), FLV (.flv), or WMV (.wmv).
• The video must not include third-party intellectual property or copyright-protected content such as unlicensed music, logos on shirts, or branded products visible in background.
Judging Rubric: 2022 SSC Rubric
For questions or more information, please contact us at [email protected].
Leader in Me (LiM) is an evidence-based, comprehensive school improvement model—developed in partnership with educators—that empowers students with the leadership and life-skills they need to thrive in the 21st century.